JESUS♥MY ♥TRUE♥ LOVE♥......

Flipkart.com

Thursday, November 4, 2010

POMMES DAUPHINOIS, HACHIS PARMENTIER & CHAYA'S JAPANESE FISH , THANKSGIVING SIDES@DORIE'S FRENCH TABLE

 There is nothing i dont like about Thanksgiving, the gratefull air [*365], the excitement and heralding the onset of Christmas too!
And this month at FFwD, we have a super cool menu ,that could make a whole meal at ur thanksgiving table!
I begin with sides this friday ,w potato haven, this Potato Gratin is awesome with the Roast chicken[coming soon] , and would pair beautifully with jus about anything!
I also added my dearest Chaya's Japanese Salmon, not only is it sooo easy and comes together super quick but was an absolute ,total hit here.
 More about it below!
Hah, have also added Hachis Parmentier, u could prepare the beef earlier and freeze it, plus point and it gets put really quick too!

 
Ur table will be a total delight with this one here!
So lets begin with the potato Gratin, step by step ,to a creamy delight!
All u need to begin with is some heavy cream, though i used lite25% cream, and lods of garlic.
Bring the mixture to a gentle simmer on low heat , till u have a garlicky cream!!
I pretty muc eyeballed everything and though the recipe called for 1 3/4 cup heavy cream for 2 1/4 pounds of idaho potatoes, i used way less and muc more garlic than the 3 cloves!!
Thats it, though u need to keep the garlic cream warm while u work the potatoes.
Dorie, says if u have got a mandoline slicer , its time to get it out now, i am glad i listened to her, and got out my brand new slicer!

Have a look ,its super cool and super sharp!
And u need to begin slicing and layering, and placing in a really well buttered dish, pouring some cream ,after a layer [depends how creamy u want it], addin any addons u might have rite from veggies to bacons to herbs!
I played with herbs!
Creamy, buttery,herby,delighful!!
 Ahh, remeber to season, inbetween layers, french salt pairs v well!
Some more goodness to add, Cheese, lods of cheese [1/4 pound any cheese ,preferably Gruyere], all i had was cheddar ,and i happen to have a 1kg block, so i stuck to that.
See, u can make most of the recipes from AMFT, with jus what u have in the pantry!
I didn grate but got my peelers to work!
 Well ready to in the oven ,and yeah i did add in garlic chives from my garden, for pretty pics and flav!
Lots of cheese, a herb and garlic chives!! Iused my herb scissors for the herbs!
and dotted with butter all over!
 Some red pepper and broccoli ,is a great add on!Pretty too!
And Baked.....
make sure u keep some leftovers ,for a delightful slice-a-potato-gratin, it comes off like a cake when nice and chilled and gets creamier too!!
 U sure can double the amount of cream , or stick to the recipe, i used less than half, and it was still fantastic!
I love the slices ,the mandoline slices, thin and super!
I did use the thin , super thin slicing option, and it was easy peasy!!
I love the slicing part, and the gorgeous layers!,dont u?
HACHIS PARMENTIER
adapted from Around My French Table or here [make sure ur volume in ON for this link]

This is so so easy a recipe and best parts,u can split it into 2days or use leftover beef!
I followed Dorie's recipe for a midly flavored,yet flavorful beef.
Bdw, i still dont know how to pronounce it the french way, am sure i m dng more portuguese to the accent thn french:-)
All u do is add everything to the pot, and boil and simmer...,now what i did was add everything to the pressure cooker, i love to cook in a pressure cooker, it gives me pull apart beef, and add some beef bones too, for an extra flavorful broth ,and a few chicken pieces too.

For veggies, i added all i had,i didn weigh the ingredients at all, jus eyeballed evrything!
Cherry toms,love them!
 and for herbs basil,sage and lods of celery!
Ahh,and parsley!
 in went some sprouts[health quotient:-)] and a goan button chilly
ofcourse added more sprouts than in the pic here!
Seasoned meat with french salt only!!
french herbs & pepper and a beef maggi cube!!
See pressure cooker cooking gives me absolutely soft,pull apart beef ,that helps skip the step for chopping up the beef later.
I scraped in any meaty pieces from the bones and squeezed the herby juices into the meat before picking it out from the meat!
Delicious beef! Totally pull apart !!
bdw, i added spinach in there too!
And the chicken gets pulled from the bone too,and u want that.
i used spicy goan sausage,which is v v spicy so went real easy on it as i added it,again in a PC, with hot olive oil.
Without the skin!
Actually i fried the onions first, u need the onions,coz its way too hot, i prefer mild and had only 1 type of goan sausage, normally i wud mix 2types,one a little less hot than the other.
But the tomato paste and some sugar calmed things down!
When done, added the beef and tomato paste and ur filling is done,after simmering it a bit with the beef gravy.
 Spoon the filling into ur pie dish/es,cover tightly while u get going with the potatoes!
Actually i simmered the sausage with the beef as i got along going with the topping!
Am so glad for the Kuhn Rikon Potato ricer [black matches my mandoline slicer see], which is also a first time!
Actually i preferred the black to the white,and they had no color options [to both]
I am so glad i chose this one , besides the Swiss finish and quality of Kuhn Rikon ,i Love that little space atop to keep the second blade!The second disk stores in the handle and the whole thing cleans up easily too, and u will find lods of times to play with it in the kitchen!
Tools...unlimted!

Nicely boiled potatoes, in a large pot of generously salted water, run thru the ricer , give u the perfect texture for the toppin!
 And here u have the perfect potato ready for a mash...
Pretty too!!
Love the texture+ its really as easy as brushing ur teeth!
Dont think thats a good comparism, well i dont think so too:-)

Ahh,meanwhile,dont forget to fire up ur oven @400 degrees!
Mashed potaotes ,need a lift ,so add some warmed up cream and milk to that[i only add lite cream]
And lods of butter!
Season with salt,pink or french, but season and with pepper![i skipped pepper]

Ahh, did i tell u, the ricer leaves behind any peel or hard bits that might be there, i boiled whole large potatoes and the cup insert in pretty large too!
Plus cleaning is a dream!Pulls apart and gets assembled v smoothly and quickly!
U'll love it i tell u!
To mix it all up i used this absolutely sturdy,5in 1 ,Uni tool, get one,u'll love it!!
Spoon the filling into really v well buttered pie dishes.
Already lusciously delicious!
Spoon the potato over the filling and sprinkle with grated cheese!
The uni tool and a fork will help u with this!
 Oh i have another cute microplane small shaver i used today ,and this one is black too!!
Shaves cheese well, microplane does everything well!
And ready for the oven...
with some parsley and sage !
Dusted with parmesan and dotted with butter[lots]all around!
bake till done.....am glad for the parchment, it collect any drips!
 ready...i sure did fill to rite on top,if u dont want it too brown ,u can tent it during the last couple o mins of baking.
Me, no, i like brown coz i like crust!
Every potato ,beef or anything thats in here,non lover [i doubt they exist at all],will love this!
Oh the gorgeous crust that forms!
I think this cheese forms the gorgeous crust, always a good thing!
Not that i dont love goeyy, and it is inside!
I had one with more filling ,less topping and one with less filling and more topping!


And as it cools, and the flavors meld ,it gets even better!

Ahh, can i have another serving please!!
So hoping there are leftovers :-)
The filling is so good!

CHAYA'S JAPANESE FISH
Whenever i hop by Chaya's blogs, i leave with a need to replicate her super delish , but really quick recipes.
If she writes , a book ,and she must, i must have a signed copy, i will never be lost!
Her Japanese Fish recipe here, is not only so so quick to put together but will be loved by fish lovers on thanksgiving day!
 I am left thinking , how a few ingredients, i had them all in my pantry, can give u an absolutely flavorful fishy delite!
 I guess, the change i had was i used sweet soy sauce,instead of the lite soy sauce Chaya used, so decreased the quantity!
And also used both dry white wine [not pictured here] and Sake!!
Other thing is i didn have scallions ,so used pink shallots and parsely for the green!!
The greens looks pretty against the dark fish glaze doesnt it?
Ahh, before i forget i did add a whole red chilly too!
And tossed the fish with the sweet soy sauce ,before i added to the pan of sizzling garlic and ginger and pink shallots.
Interesting?
Hop by to Chaya's kitchen , her world here!
U have to, for the full recipe!

The above 3,will love to find their way to ur Thanksgiving table ,hope u'll enjoy as muc as we did!

I think adding mushrooms to the Gratin and HP would be fantastic!

Linking this to Chaya's new linky [cool]!
and
 


AND
MangoesandChutney
&
&
&



Photobucket

&
&

Am also sending the potato Gratin to Versatile kitchens delicious bake off!


 






80 comments:

  1. What a fabulous feast. I hate to admit it, but I could eat the entire dish of those yummy potatoes and skip everything else. But of course I wouldn't do that. I would miss out too many other goodies.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha, Sam i would love u to eat it all and more:-)
    thannnk u and happy to have u here!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all the tools and gadgets you are using to make food prep and cooking much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, darling Mia! Everything looks spectacular! The color of the fish is amazing, and those potatoes look more delicious than I can say. :-) Well done, luv!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me too Tiger Fish!!!
    thannk u!!

    Oh my sweetest Krista, thannk u babe!
    U flatter me good and i enjoy it:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is awesome meal. You have created a nice spread here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh WOW, my eyes are wide open and my brain is trying to assimilate all the information.
    What a great show of food and colours.
    Very provocative photos ... WELL DONE ... ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, impressive! All that in one meal! I agree that all four November ffwD recipes can be rolled into one meal. I'm combining three into one this weekend! It all looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a Lavish Feast Dear. Loved the look of the array of preparations. Superb.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello hello! What a wonderful blog you have here. I couldn't help but drool over your beautiful photos. Everything sounds and looks AMAZING!!! Definitely the perfect holiday dinner. :-)

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. I will be visiting yours often - just love it!

    rosabela

    ReplyDelete
  11. @swathi ,thannnk u sweets!!

    @ana Oh minha queridinha Ana,
    u always have the kindest and nicest things to say!
    Love ya for all that and more:-)
    Thannnnnkkk u , ur d best gurl!
    bejinhos e amor!

    @yummychunklet, thannnk u gurl!!
    yeah we are on the same page!
    im combing 2 evryweek and then alll for thanksgiving :-)
    a little of everything!!

    @deepa, oh deepa thannnk u babe!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thannnnk U Rosabela, am so thrilled to find ur blog too and will be there too!
    Oh u say very nice things to me and i love nice!!
    Loved having u over and will cya againnnnnnn!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a gorgeous photos! Everything you've featured looks delicious dear...

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have wonderful kitchen tools to help you prepare all these wonderful dishes. Your photos are excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW! What a great post! I had to laugh, I thought you had put potato chips on top of your gratin...but then realized it was cheese cut with your peelers. Too cool.

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Katerina, yeah love collectn those nifty tools and thannxx a ton!!

    @trick and treat , thannnk u!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. @steph , u have me giggln away here too:-)
    didn use the peelers for the HP though, the grater worked fine!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My My what a fantastic feast they all look absolutely fantastic...wish to join you :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. THannk u Ananda, with a bigg pinch of love and wud lovee to have u over!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, your pictures are truly fantastic! They make me want to dive right into this meal. The layers on your gratin are perfect, and I also loooove salmon.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Everything looks amazing. What a delicious assortment of recipes. I love the layers of potatoes in your shots, they're beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. OH.MY.GOODNESS. Every item in your post looks mouth-wateringly delicious!!! I am especially entranced by the potatoes au gratin!! Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You made so many wonderful dishes! I love potatoes, especially. I like all of your neat gadgets, too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow! What a great round up of some fantastic recipes! I love Thanksgiving too, and this will be the first year I get to cook my own! I can't wait - you've given me some fabulous inspiration. Thanks for linking up to Friday Potluck this year!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful photos of a gorgeous feast! Everything looks mouthwateringly delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  26. @jennaseverythingblog ,thannnk u Jenna, that is sooo sweet!!
    wish u cud dig in:-)

    @SavoringTime in the Kitchen, thannnk u babe!!

    @nitha ,thannnk u dear!!

    Thannnnk u Tanna, am glad u think so:-)

    Kristen ,thannnk u so muc!
    I love all those nifty tools too:-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a wonderful energy you have! This is a real feast you presented us with! The gadgets are so useful (I love, love, love my potato ricer - it's black, just like yours)
    Great photos:)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh Erin , this sounds so excitin, m sure ur gng to have so muc fun and come up with lods of gorgeous deliciousness!
    Lookin forward to catch up with it all!
    I love Friday Potluck!
    thnnnnk u so muc too!

    @scrambledhenfruit, thannnnkk u so muc!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Lana , so happy to have u here!!
    hah, i love my black potato ricer some more now!!
    thnannk u so muc!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Amazing! This is definitely a meal to be reckoned with. i'm especially in love with those potatoes...but then again, I've always loved side dishes more than anything else :P

    ReplyDelete
  31. I like a crunchy crust too, Mia! :) I eat all the top and leave the rest! Think I am drooling over those potatoes....but everything looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow Summer! This is quite a feast! Everything looks absolutely delicious. I love the cheese crust as well. I need to come by your house for a meal soon!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow what a awesome feast you have here! All of your food looks incredible! I am excited to make the Potato Gratin dish today. I spent a big chunk of change on that cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  34. When's dinner? I'll bring my own plate.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love love love your food! I can't imagine not having a mandoline not that I have one. But I sure need a ricer!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love the pictures! The potatoes especially look wonderful! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I want to marry your photos, especially the gratin ones!

    ReplyDelete
  38. So many delicious things you've cooked up! It's so hard to pick a favorite! I wish I could try them all especially the hachis parmenter! Hope all is good with you!

    ReplyDelete
  39. wow, looks fabulous...love all the colors, tips and recipes that you've share---thanks! happy weekend! oh, did i mention, everything looks so delicious! yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oh, geez! It ALL looks amazing but I'm going to have dreams about the salmon & potato gratin!

    I want that ricer!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  41. This meal looks awesome and your pictures are so eye-catching. That Japanese fish look especially tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  42. @jo, ha ha, we are totally on d same page with some additions:-)

    Ha ha Barbara, it happenned here too:-)
    but the rest didn get left though:-(
    Thannnk u babe, always love to have u over!

    @julie M, would lovee to have u over 4a meal and sooonnnn,thankk u for being here for the virtual meal gurl!

    @flourchild, looking forward to ur gratin ,specially after the chunk of cheese and thannnk u so muc!!

    @Pattie @ Olla-Podrida, oh even if u dont bring ur own plate i want u for dinner, anytime anyday, jus give a jingle in advance ,so i can lay u a feast too:-)

    Hey thannk u Mama Cupcake, ur sweet!
    Ha ha, i thought so too b4 i had one , now that my mommy got me tools , i am at peace:-)
    Oh this ricer is the best and believe me i saw more than jus a few:-)

    Thannnk u Debbi!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. @Serene, :-)
    thannk u!!

    Reeni, thannnk u!!
    Wish u cud too:-)
    yuppy everything good and hope the same's with u!!!

    @cheerful , u truly cheered me up with what u think about this post:-)
    thannk u and happy weekend!!

    hi Ingrid, am so happy u think so , hope i pop in somewhere in dreamland too:-)
    Oh that ricer is a dream too:-)

    ReplyDelete
  44. Oh Lisa,thankkku sweetie!
    So happy to have u here!

    ReplyDelete
  45. This looks so comforting and delicious! Excellent photos!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Thank you for your potato entry. They look fabulous. Looking at all the gadgets in one post, I can imagine how many more you have in your kitchen. Reminds me of someone (me..............)

    ReplyDelete
  47. LOL, so cute!!!
    thannk u babe!

    Yeah i plan to showcase them w every recipe for bloggn pals lookin to buy the same:-))

    ReplyDelete
  48. All I can say is:WOW!...What a culinary journey!
    Your photos are superb! The vibrant colors are just about popping out of the page, and the dishes are meticulously prepared, and so delicious looking. I'm just sitting here in a "daze" watching all these 3D amazing photos of your beautiful foods!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Oh Elisabeth, thannnnkkk u babe, am so thrilled to read ur thoughts:-)
    U totally made my day:-)
    Wishhh i cud send u some too:-)
    Huggies and love,
    Mia.

    ReplyDelete
  50. You are amazing. You made that food spectacular? It looks rich and inviting.

    I plan to make the potatoes, this week and seeing your wonderful photos, shows me what to do.

    It is such fun, coming here.

    Thanks for making my salmon.

    ReplyDelete
  51. I love the taters, I love all the gizmos you own, and I love the pot pie. Ooh and the herbs too... do you have seeds? I haven't seen such good fresh herbs in ages. I have just basil, and my poor rosemary is almost dead. My sage died too...sob! I wanna make what you made...super yum!

    ReplyDelete
  52. @chaya, Aww buddy , was waitin for u to hop by:-)
    Am so glad u think so, u make my day with all u say,lv ya!
    Looking forward to ur potato delite too!

    Ur welcome and i so want to make so muc from ur super blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Hey Deeba, thats sooo sweeet!!
    Thannnk u ,i love ur thoughts!
    Hey no, i have no seeds and me too looking for seeds!
    Have only garlic chives ,which i plant raw garlic:-)and toms which i cut a tom and plant in seeds:-)
    dryn them a bit in a coconut shell:-)
    and coriander which u soak overnight and plant in soil!
    Am looking for basil and rosemary and sage foreva, and now that am talkin to u , u remind me of a contact i have in Bombay , they send u seeds , but have still not got down to replyn to them , give me a moment and i will write the mail to u:-)
    If i had any ,wud have shared with u happily!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Wow, what a beautiful feast, Mia! The potatoes look especially lovely and delicious. I really need to buy a mandoline! :)

    ReplyDelete
  55. A fabulous collection of dishes. I haven't made the gratin yet, but I am looking forward to it after seiing yours. Thanks for the tip on it getting better with time.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Today morning I was making some plans for Thanksgiving dinner with my friend..and here you are with a lovely array of great dishes...Great :-)

    ReplyDelete
  57. wow this is a five star meal :-) thanks for the kind words on the app Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  58. What a fantastic line up! I love all your neat tools! Especially the mandoline.. slices so thinly! Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  59. @faith, yeah honestly ,its a super cool product and this pne comes in a v neat storage box too:-)
    thannnk u for ur thoughts!!

    @cakelaw, thannnnk u and ur sooo welcome:-)
    lookn forward to when u bake this one:-)

    ReplyDelete
  60. Hey Gul ,thannnxxx a ton for ur lovely thoughts!!
    I love everything about thanksgivin and am super excited about the dinner too:-)


    @Rebecca ,hey thannnk and ur so welcome!!!

    Hey Donna, thannnk u and yeah those tools have us gaga dont they?

    ReplyDelete
  61. Hehe you have stirred such a potato craving with all of those close up photos of them! Delightful! :D

    ReplyDelete
  62. :-),lol, ur so cuteee!
    Thannk u Lorraine!

    ReplyDelete
  63. Delicious looking side dish !

    ReplyDelete
  64. Wow everything looks soooooo delicious and I am dumb struck seeing this wonderful feast.

    Pavithra
    www.dishesfrommykitchen.com

    ReplyDelete
  65. This is an incredibly impressive post! I'm glad you made this from Around my French Table. I've yet to make anything out of it, have just drooled at the pictures a bit but will need to use it soon! The layers on that gratin are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  66. Yummy! Those are scrumptious dishes. I am a big fan of Gratin Dauphinois.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  67. Everything looks SO delicious! I envy your mandoline slicer, ricer, and the microplane (I thought I had them all, but I'm missing the shaver - I've got to track one down)...
    Re: your comment - I don't know how to add an email subscription to my blog (which is why I don't have one) :(

    ReplyDelete
  68. Gorgeous food! You've been busy. Some great ideas for Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  69. Geez, thats a feast for the kings. Makes me feel like attending your thanksgiving dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  70. @Elra , thannnk u!!

    @Pavithra ,thannnk u sweety, am so glad to read ur lovley thoughts, u make my day good:-)))

    @Joie de vivre, u must join in FFwD then, u will love and enjoy baking and simmern with all the member all of the delicious recipes!
    Its so so muc fun and plus u end up bookmarking fantastic recipes for the month, on my own ,id never be able to chose , they are all so gorgeous:-)
    http://www.frenchfridayswithdorie.com/
    Thannk u for ur wonderful thoughts, they make bloggn so special:-)

    ReplyDelete
  71. Hey ,Hi, thannk u Indie Tea, sooo cute!!
    And u have to track that microplane, its so so good ,i love their whole range and try to feature each one in every post !!
    Ok ,lemme try and figure how i added d email sub and get back to u.
    i think u go to add gadgets in ur edit design page and then the option is there, thats all :-)
    but lemme check coz actually my email sub aint working now and tried pingn it to no avail:-(

    ReplyDelete
  72. @rosa, so am i!

    @barbara bakes,thannk u,so lookn forward to thanksgiving!!

    @crustabakes, thannk u ,wud be glad to have u over!

    ReplyDelete
  73. I love Thanksgiving too (as you can tell by my post today)! This food looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  74. Lol, yeah i sure can tell ,and loved ur post !!
    Thannnk u !
    bdw, i love the name poppies and sunshine!!

    ReplyDelete
  75. Love your energy. How sweet and kind. Love the food, too! Thanksgiving and Christmas are hands down the best times of the year for all things family and great food! Great round up here and nice to *meet* you.

    ReplyDelete
  76. Oh wow lots going on in here ,got stumbled upon seeing your excellent space .I appreciate you for taking time to reply to almost all the people .First time to your blog ,glad to say that iam following your blog .

    I could see that you are enjoying every moment with your note book .You have presented one pot meal kinda dishes that will be a crowd pleaser for sure .Iam way hungry nowwww :) It looks so decadent.

    http://sanscurryhouse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  77. Oh Bren, i love ur energy too, ur kind and sweet and ur thoughts excite me so!!
    Thannnkkk u and we are so on the same page , jus loveee Thanksgivn and Christmas time!!
    Happy to meeet u soooo muc toooo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  78. Oh San, ur so absolutely sweet and jus so love that u stumbled here coz am absolutely lookn forward to hop at ur site too!!
    i love meeting warm people here and am so glad u over!!
    Thannnk u for all ur thoughts, u make me grin with glee!
    Ha ha, i ve had a meal and now talkn to u ,im hungry too!!!
    huggies!!

    ReplyDelete

I love♥ love♥ love♥ ....LOVE UR ♥ TWINKLING♥SPARKLIN SPRINKLE♥FAIRIES♥......
and thanx a ton loads for hopping by....
Do leave ur blog link so i can visit u too....
And have a cheerfully rocking happy day♥Sparkling with the joys of SPRINGTIME and warmth of SUMMER..