[ie dont like at all] Mango ICecream and Mango Mouse , yet am gaga over this MAngo CUrd.... well but aint here to figure my taste buds ,but only indulge them ...and hope to indulge urs too , ALONGWITH mine!!!
I did read Cafe Fernando's Super Mango and Passion Fruit Curd and ALoha Worlds Mango Curd and my Lemon Curd before coming up with this.
- 5 yolks + 2 whole eggs
- 2 cups sugar [ d mangoes i used were pretty sweet, so if using tart mangoes maybe u'd need to decrease or as per taste]
- 75 grams salted + 50 unsalted,at room temperature [ u could use all unsalted butter and add a pinch of salt , but i love what salted butter add to the flav-now u could decrease the butter very sucessfully , i didn weigh any ,but i think i did add more than 150 grms but i think less would be fine and better]
- 3 cups mango puree with juice of 1 little lime.
2]PLACE GLASS / steel BOWL [that fits into the pan jus rite to make it a couble boiler] WITH 1CUP SUGAR AND 100 GRAMS BUTTER [ mix of both if using both].
Simmer whisking well till butter and sugar dissolves.
4] ADD WELL WHISKED 5 EGG YOLKS AND 2 WHOLE EGGS to the PUREE AND WHISK AWAY.
5] Add to the Butter and SUgar and whisk again and Keep the bowl back on the flame on the pan of simmering water.
But u could keep it directly in the pan , instead of double boiler, but never let it boil , and let the flame be really low.
I tried a little in the micro too ,and it thicken really well ,pretty fast, all u need is micro where ever u have to keep it on the flame, but do stir every 30 seconds.
Goes quite fast too.
7]The consistency , will be thicker than that of Lemon curd, clings very thickly to the spoon.
How to check its Done?
What i did,and it quite worked ,is that, pop in a few little bowls in the freezer when u begin , and as and when u think its getting done, heap a nice Teaspoon full into the bowls and pop back in the freezer for a few seconds:-)
Well check the consistency and flav, and yeah u can add a bit more sugar if u want too ,too:-))
Now if this curd , when done, as it is here, in the microwave, stirred in between , every 20 seconds, u get a toffish kinda glazy kinda fudgy curd, try it with a little Bowl............ITS DIFFERENT:-))
BUTTERMILK MANGO++++ CAKES
A buttery mango BATTER WITH A LAYER IN BETWEEN AND TOPPED WITH
MANGO BATTER and some MANGO CURD...
When HAVE d CAKE, one of d wonderful groups am a member of, chose ButterMilk Cake , well Gerri and Rena thanxx for the wonderful Choice, i was more than jus happy....coz ,most of the buttermilk cakes i loved ,had fruits and am totally donnuty at the moment for fruity delights.
HAve quite a few more bookmarked and another baked too, and maybe i'll post another one Jus about soon...
U can sub Sour cream for buttermilk ,but i prefer buttermilk:-))
And added lods of Mango Curd too:-))
BUTTERMILK and MORE
What exactly is buttermilk? [as far as my knowledge, exprnce and reading goes:-)]
Well the only commercial one we ger readily here, is a lightly spiced watery one:-)
Really good for marinating meats though, But the water i strain after draining yogurt thru a cheese cloth is also butter milk[BM] to me, but thats talking of the low fat kinda buttermilk.
Now for the sake of the word Butter in BM [lol], lets get to the thicker version of BM, i normally would use some yogurt [almost always make buttermilk at home] with half&half and whole , let it stand in a warm place for a thick buttery BM...
Well then i love the CRUZE's BM story as muc as their Delicious good BM pound Cake too....
There's lods to learn about buttermilk all around the place too, and i loved reading about BM here , here and here too!!!
What i did was whisk some yogurt [Nestle curd], add some warm half and half[lite cream] and let stand for 3 hours...perfect!!
Before we get back to our buttery MANgo BM Cake, featured here [yummmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!]
For the MANGO CAKE HERE , i read this recipe at Trini GOurmet , a good mango cake, and GELs Kitchen Mango Cake
Adapted From NY times ,a butter cake by MArgaret Brauns
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 4 1/2 cups sugar, plus 1/2 cup for sprinkling
- 4 large eggs [or 6 if u skip the mango curd]
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract [i used 3 whole vanilla beans]
- Finely grated zest of 4 lemons (for lemon cake, but i do love what it did to the mango cake]
- Juice of 1 lemon (for lemon cake-optional]
- 1.5 cups sour cream
- 1.5 cups Mango chunky mango bits with juice
- [as i chopped a few mangoes, i had pieces from the cups and thick puree from the seeds]
- 3/4 cup mango curd[am sure i added a bit more:-)]
~~~this quantity makes quite a bit of cake, i halved it and still had lods of cake
~~~if making a few cuppys too, tip the tops with some mango Curd ...delicious!
~~~love the crust that forms atop with the sprinkled sugar:-)
~~~the original called for 6eggs but since i had mango curd ,i cut it down to 4:-))
- 1.Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Butter and flour two 10-inch round cake pans.
- I buttered a few heart shaped cuppy cakes moulds and a large mould.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- 2.In another bowl, cream the butter and 4 1/2 cups of sugar until fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in the vanilla or scrape the vanilla seeds into the batter.
- Add the lemon zest and juice and the cubed mango pieces and puree mash.
- 3.Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture, alternating with the buttermilk and mango curd.
- Scrape batter into prepared cake pans.
- A few cakes , were half filled, a mango slice inbetween and then covered with batter again!
- 4.Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of the sugar on top of the batter or a mango slice if u want too or both!
- Bake until set, when a cake tester inserted in center comes out clean (about 1 hour).
- 5.Let the cakes cool in their pans, and then invert them onto a rack.
- Right outa the oven , we popped a few ,right into our mouths....warm and tender and so so soft......
- Delicious and butterly so.....flavor sure develops the next day!!!
- Some part of the cake was almost like a pudding cake....
- While some was soft and tender.......
nOTE -With this dessert the Lees suggest a dry Champagne, like Veuve Clicquot.
Now for the GIveAway.... avery pretty Giveaway......
I m so in love with this new site online ,begun , by Amanda , Bake it Pretty!
I was introduced to Bake it Pretty , thanxx to Bakerella, the best baking blog around...her Winnie the Pooh cake Pops are soooooooooooo cute....
All who know know what a WInnie de Pooh fan i am and collect all things Winnie de Pooh , he bakes with me too:-))))
Thanxx to her i fell in love....with every thing in bake it pretty, u cant stop shopping at BIP, super cute..evrything is must have!!!!
And Bakerella inspired me , to have this giveaway!!!
I'll have lods of pretty pics and get my creative juices flowing once my goodies arrive, but for now am blessing , one follower [new followers welcome], with a 25$ gift card to spend at BAke it Pretty...
I would have loved these to dress up my pretty Mango cakes:-)))
Well u sure can buy lods of Sprinkles and cupcakes papers with that, their prices being as low as $2 or less.....and best of all they ship internationally , even to India...how cool is that...
Or maybe their products are cooler.....
They have the cutest of BAking cups, in different sizes and colors and designs...ur sure to love them all....
candy and bake too!!!
Honestly, there's so so muc cuteness there ,that u will have to wait for my next Giveaway to see more...but ofcourse u can hop to Bake It Pretty too!!!
With the 25$ Gift certificate , u can pretty muc buy a couple of things from above ir chose ur own too!!!
Ok now lets get down to the GIveaway-Please read Carefully the following to be Eligible !
You have to be a Follower thru Google connect, of this Blog to enter the mandotory entry below , if u dont have a blog/google ,then there are other ways as below.
And if ur are a follower, for the Mandatory entry , tell me what u find cute here or what u would buy with this at Bake It pretty or jus baout what u like about this post;-)
If all 3 of the above , then better!
After the Mandatory entry above here are more ways u can add entries, for every entry ,please leave a separate comment.
Ofcourse , i love to add more entries too, so here are chances aplenty, the more the better.
~~~follow BSM's twitter HERE for added 4 entries
~~~ Follow BSM on Facebook or at the box to d right and add 7 entries.
~~~5 ENTRIES if u have a confirmed email subscription to this blogs posts.
~~~Follow BSM on NEtworked Blogs HERE or click the Follow Button ,in the column to the right at Networked blogs.5 entries
~~~Blog about this Giveaway/add it clearly to ur side bar ,for added 5 entries.
~~~Add this giveaway to a linky or forum and leave me a link (4 entries)
~~~Tweet about this Giveaway, and get 2 entries daily.
~~~If u participate/d in any Giveaway here,[list below] add 2 entries for each Giveaway u entered.
For each Entry u have to leave a separate comment, ur are eligible only after the Completion of the Mandatory entry above.
Enter the Current giveaways as follows and add 2 entries for each giveaway entered:-)
~~~snackTAXI giveaway- super cute too!! Enter Here!
~~~Good for u Go green Ayalas Herbal water with Organic tote Bag [cute] Giveaway.Enter Here!
~~~tart pans and cookie cutters Giveaway, enter here!
Remember, the more entries u get the more the chance!
I will announce the winner here on 14th JUNE 2010.
Disclosure ''the giveaway prize is provided by me''
All the best Happy pals,
Update-We have A winner!
CONGRATS KARLA- u won....please do reply to the email !!!!
Thanxx a ton for everybody who joined in and all the best for the next giveaway!!!